Friday, February 12, 2010

V-Day! Aaarrrrggggg!


OK, so it's the Friday before Valentine's Day... And of course I have a few thoughts on the holiday...

First of all, I don't really complain much, ok, so let's get real, I probably really do complain a lot... but ANYWAY. So, I'm referencing my first V-day gift which I received today. I'll begin by saying that I am really thankful for the gift and for the fact that someone loves and cares enough about me to even send me a gift at all. Secondly, by the mere fact that I referred to the gift as my "first" gift (meaning that there are more to come) it would kindof make me sound like a spoiled brat, for the simple fact that I'm actually "complaining" about a gift, especially when this is one of many... Alas, I am me... And I must keep it real. Brutally honest, if I do say so myself. So here goes the rant...

Let me start w/ a little background on the situation. My significant other and I are, if my memory serves me correctly, sitting on the couch last night watching NBA Wives, a documentary on E! Very cleverly, the advertisers pop up w/ all these V-day commercials, (knowing that only "hopeless romantics" or "wanna-be spoiled wives to be" would be watching a show of this caliber) and an "Edible Bouquets" commercial comes on. So of course I verbally expressed my interest in edible bouquets. And if you really know me, you'd KNOW that I love things w/ multi-utilitarian purpose. Fashion+Functionality might as well by my middle name, b/c I absolutely LOVE things that can be used for multiple purposes, recycled, re-gifted, etc! I know, I know... a little A.D.D. of me, but hey, that's KERRI! Henceforth, the whole concept of an edible bouquet is simply brilliance! Fashion+Functionality. Loves it!

Anyway, I have duely noted numerous times my detest, well, not detest, but moreso "apathy" (thanks Ja Rita for the vocab refreshser!) towards flowers. I mean, they're really good for only one thing, and that's to get attention at work. Fellas... and I'm serious about this one... DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT EVER send flowers to a woman at her home when there is an opportunity to send them to her at work, in front of all her jealous co-workers! ;) Sounds crazy, but 'tis true. Flowers are just sooooooooo un-original! And you have to put them in a vase (clothe them), water them (feed them), and make sure they have light (attention)... Hell, yall might as well send us an INFANT! I'm just soooo not one for gifts that you require upkeep.

So anyway, back to my original thought... I distinctly expressed my love for edible arrangements in front of my boo, and this boy sends me roses today at work. The nerve! :) Now, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to receive the roses. It was a sweet thought, yes. But as I struggled to pry open the box (in which my nails were messed up in the process!) fidgeted w/ the paper, rubberbands, plastic, foam, and all the other trappings that come along w/ assembling my GIFT, I admit that the ugly "this man does NOT listen to me" thoughts crept up my medulla oblongatta into my cerebellum and eventually made themselves to the area of mild disgust and unsatisfaction!

I keep telling myself, "it's the thought that counts" but the more I ponder, the more I begin to think that there was little to no thought at all that went into this "gift." *pouting* I mean, I was really craving that chocolate covered strawberry and pineapple bouquet!

I swear, it KILLS ME to have to write this, but I must always adhere to rationality and reason. And on this V-Day eve, my cognitions have gotten the best of me.

So guys, please learn something today... Just because something is the "holiday mainstay" it does not mean that it's in your best interest to partake. Some women may be enamored w/ flowers, yes, but my point is, MAKE SURE YOUR WOMAN LIKES FLOWERS before you sent them to her. Because as for Miss Kerri Babee, I can think of COUNTLESS things that could have been well spent by two twenties, other than the traditional dozen roses. And if you insist on doing the flower thing, MAKE SURE that you get them delivered by a local florist so that when they walk into the building, they're already arranged and pretty. Because, as you can see in the above picture, the boxed (set 'em up yourself) version is truly lackluster!

If there's something else out there that you're sure you would like better for the price of the flowers, go for it! That new dress she's been eyeing in the window of BCBG, so-and-so's latest fragrance, even the boxed set of her favorite sitcom (*ahem, cough,--> THE GAME, cough*) would make MUCH better and MUCH more thoughtful tokens than the wickedly outdated 1-800 FLOWERS bouquet. #justsayin

No disrespect, boyfriend. I'm certain that this gift was sent with love and adoration, but um... FAIL! :)

-My daily Kerrapy

Fell free to comment. Your "constructive" criticism is welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Ms. Jones, as a man who has often aimed to please my mate, I can honestly say I share your sentiments with regard to Valentine's Day gifts. I'm not the biggest fan of V'day to begin with; however, I do believe that when you give a gift you also convey the message "I'm listening. I hear you." To know that the person you care for understands you and what pleases you is an incredible feeling... no matter how big or small the act or gift.

    I think that your gift giver had nothing but the best intentions and as you have indicated probably isn't finished doing whatever it is he plans to do for you. In our minds we think... "hmm, I bet she would really like to receive (a gift) in front of her friends at work." because that means... Other people get to see how much we love you (and we know y'all eat that sh*t up, lol!) Overall though I feel you. I want the same thing too- "satisfaction via an understanding partner". But its nice to have that everyday... not just on Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FTR Edible Arrangements at work are an even bigger FAIL! Once I hinted, I got, and then my greedy ass co-workers ate! Although I am not one to EVER want flowers because I'd much rather receive something I don't have to water to keep alive for a week, at elast the flowers would be for me and I wouldn't be forced to share....selfish yea, but oh well. I have never been big on V-day, a thoughtful card on a random day is much sweeter than roses and a sappy card hallmark created just to weasle my man outta $$$ in February!

    ReplyDelete